Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Toys

So I bought 4 cameras. All together. A Brownie No. 2 from the 30's. A Duaflex from the 60's, and a Six-16 from I don't know when, and another that I don't know what it is. I got them for $20. Why? At first I thought it would be nice to just add them to my collection. Nice conversation pieces.


Then I read where you can pretty easily adapt them from 620 film to 120 and actually shoot some pix. Might be fun.


But today... I found the real deal. It is a movement called Through The Viewfinder (TTV). Some ingenious folks adapted their digital SLR's to shoot stright down at the viewfinder on the top of a Duaflex and photograph what it sees. You can check it out at http://www.flickr.com/groups/throughtheviewfinder/



It is crazy, interesting, and unusual. I will definitely give this a try. My toys will be here later in the week.























Have you ever heard of a Holga camera? It is a toy camera that costs $25 new. It is made of plastic. People load it with medium format film and shoot. No 2 are the same, they leak light, and are inconsistent. There is a following of this toy and tons of pictures from Holgas.



The pictures these little cameras produce are very retro looking, but also artsy. You can see lot's of examples at http://www.flickr.com/search/?s=int&w=all&q=holga&m=text

What an interesting way to check out medium format film.




Photography is cool...