Friday, January 28, 2011

Worship

Tonight I lead the Men in worship.  3 songs.  Famous one, Trading My Sorrows and Sweetly Broken.  It is amazing to me the anxious/nervous feelings I get before doing this.

I have played my guitar and sang before people since I was in 7th grade, or 12 years old, which is 33 years.  I have led songs or sung songs for groups as small as 2, all the way into the hundreds. 

I like to sing.  I like to play.  People enjoy it and yet all this nervousness.

My Dad told me once that where there is no struggle, there can be no victory.  I get the concept.  And I believe it to be true.  But I still don't get why I can be so susceptible to these feelings of self-doubt, and nerves with the amount of experience I have doing it.

I do know that I am my biggest critic.  Most folks enjoy what I do.  That should ease it up.  But I guess there is more.

And the more is the simple complicated fact that it isn't about me.  It's about Him.  The attacks aren't on me per se.  They are on Him because it is Him in me that will connect people to worship tonight.  I know that I will get up, sing and play, and someone in the room will come face to face with Christ sometime during the event. 

That is why nerves happen, and why doubt happens, and why ultimately through the strength of Jesus Christ Himself, worship (victory) will happen.

You are The Lord,
Famous One.
Great Is Your name in all the earth.
The heavens declare,
You're Glorious,
Great is your fame beyond the earth.