Thursday, December 24, 2009



So I ran down the problems for the fuel in the crankcase. I believe that the extreme tow angle, couple with a weak needle valve were the culprits. I rebuilt the carb, drained and changed the oil, and there isn't any fuel in the crankcase anymore.

I went on to time and tune the engine, which led to an idle issue. A very common problem with a 1600 dual port is that there are quite a few things, and combinations of things that will cause a bad idle. I started down the list:

Idle jet and circuit in the carb clean and free of debris. Check.
Solenoid cutoff valve operational. Check.
Vacuum leaks at manifold, or on certain points on the carb. Check.

I checked over and over and pulled the carb on and off again and again, checking everytime I thought of a new possible cause. While reading over at TheSamba.com I found this article:

http://www.aircooledtech.com/34pict3_modification/


It explains how to modify the throttle plate to create more vacuum through the idle circuit, pull more fuel and correct the idle issue. Let's just say I did it and it works.




With it running smooth as silk, I went ahead and rewired the lights, oil sending circuit, generator light and reinstalled the dash. It is starting to come together like a dream.